How to get and keep your firearms license – Massachusetts
If you’re interested in getting a firearms license (also known as a Firearms Identification Card, or FID, in Massachusetts, here are the steps you must follow:
- You must complete an approved firearms safety course, like our Basic Firearms Safety Course. You must do this FIRST.
- You must complete an application and present it at the police department in the city or town where you reside, or have a business.
- The application must include the specific reason(s) for wanting a firearms license
- The application must include the name and contact information of two personal references.
- The application must include information about past criminal convictions or felonies, as well as about any history of domestic violence, mental illness, or drug/alcohol addiction.
- The application must include proof of completion of a state approved firearms safety course.
- The application must include the requisite fee.
- Once the application is submitted, applications must be either approved or denied within forty (40) days of the date of application. You can check the status of your application by contacting the Department of Criminal Justice Information Services (DCJIS) at (617) 660-4722.
A license is valid for six (6) years.
If you move your residence or business:
- You must submit a change of address form with the Firearms Records Bureau
- You must submit the form to the police chief of the city or town of your new address.
- You must submit the form to the police chief of the city or town of your old address.
All forms must be sent via Certified Mail within thirty (30) days of the change of address.